Capacity Building Action Plan
Department of Governance Reforms (DGR), Government of Punjab has taken up the responsibility of introducing e-governance across departments, in a phased manner as part of the National e-Governance Plan.Objective of Capacity Building Action Plan
The primary objective of the Capacity Building Action Plan is to build the competency and talent pool within the State Departments, capable and equipped with knowledge and skills to effectively devise and implement e-Governance initiatives. This is intended to be achieved through a series of activities like workshops and training programs aimed at competency building for the policy and execution level officials of the various State Departments in Government of Punjab.Key guidelines relating to the Capacity Building roadmap are summarized:
- Capacity Building has to be seen at 3 levels, namely Institutional Structure, Resources and Training Needs.
- There is a need for adopting a strategic approach in managing the capacity building exercise.
- An assessment of capacities and skills required in future to manage the e-Governance initiative.
- A series of activities like workshops and training programs targeting the officials at all levels need to be undertaken.
- Another aspect of paramount importance is the sustainability of the capacities built. This can be achieved through institutionalization and continuous capacity building efforts.
- There should be a judicious mix of in-sourcing and out-sourcing strategies for achieving the gigantic task of capacity building in the State for e-Governance.
- Specific recommendations to be made in terms of the topics to be covered to meet the capacity needs at the policy, functional, technical and operational levels.
- Develop a standardized template for taking up a training need analysis at the Departmental level for an on-going evaluation.
- Indicative costing for undertaking a comprehensive capacity building initiative to be undertaken along with the potential areas from where funding should be sought.
- Methodologies for Capacity Building to be detailed which include a mix of workshops and in class training.
- To create partnerships with established training institutions to enable the exercise to be completed in a time-bound manner and with uniform standards.
- For sustainable capacity building, a sound institutional mechanism also needs to be in place.